Thursday, March 2, 2023

Take Me to Africa, Please!

 

Well, a year and a half later, this baby is done.   I had such fun designing this and putting all the pieces together.  The vast majority of the fabrics are authentic African prints.  The black accent, the background, backing and binding is not, but the colors are all African except for maybe 2.  I even found a skirt at the thrift store with a wonderful print from Africa!



It was, however, a journey.  After designing and piecing, I decided to 'big stitch' quilt it.  The piece lived in my living room in Omaha on a card table all summer of 2022 and I stitched along with reruns of Law and Order, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.

This fun quilt took a 1st Place Award at our 2023 Quilt Show at Llano Grande Park for "Pieced and Hand Quilted by One Person. 

Did I mention I will be redecorating my Omaha bedroom when we get back? 

PS: The kitty anointing my work is Calypso, a foster kitty from S.O.L.A.S.  I had her for about 2 months last summer.  She was found stray, skinny and an injury to her eye, among a managed colony in Council Bluffs.  I got her fattened up, medically treated (eye was removed) and of course, spayed.  She found her forever home and is now living the sweet life she deserves. 



No comments:

Update on our Beloved Mrs. Gray

  Those of you who have been with WIFCaP from the beginning in 2011 and most of the following years of our TNR journey, know and love Mrs. G...