Thank you for visiting my blog

A casual blog highlighting my life with kids, grandkids and kitties...Also an avenue to show some items from my etsy shops.


**Please note..The other half of my life is dovoted to helping feral and free roaming cats in Walnut and the surrounding areas. You can learn more and follow our activites there at Walnut Iowa's Feral Cat Program! **







Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My $10 Scrap Quilt


As promised yesterday, here is a picture of my little quilt I bought for $10 at an antique sale. The guy had been using it for wrapping around furniture! I had to rescue it. I like to do that. When I find a quilt that seems ugly to a lot of people, I see the beauty and charm. I have several to share with you in the future...Sort of like cats, I would take all the stray ones in if I could. Do you see how this fun lady used blue as her focus color, but injected some green, purple and even a little black and red...all the same family, but the quilt "reads" as blue. The "surprise" on this quilt was a block done with brown and white check! This gal followed all the rules... Click on the pic for a larger view!

Quilting Tip of the Day
(back Ways to Choose and Use Scraps-Quiltmaker 9-10/01

To stay a bit in control of your scrap quilt:
  • Consider your flamboyancy quotient. You may prefer to keep your color choices controlled.
  • Restrain your use of scraps by using a common color scheme thruout an entire quilt.
  • Limiting the colors in a quilt doesn't mean you have to limit the number of fabrics you use: a red and white quilt could have 100 red prints and 100 white prints.
  • Use a common background to unify a myriad of prints.
  • Calm scrappy blocks by using a simple setting.
  • Or add a large dose of a neutral color.
  • Choose a variety of colors for the blocks, keeping consistent value placement to determine design structure (which sounds like something you would have learned in design class, which I know nothing about).
See? I think if you read back over these from my previous posts, you will see that this little bear paw quilt fits the bill with these rules...maybe that's why I was so drawn to it.
Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

krissybizz said...

I, of course, love this quilt!

Kathy said...

O me too. I watched it sit in a heap on the street outside my door for 3 days and finally went out and asked the guy if he would sell it to me..."yeah ten bucks!" I love it. There is no batting and the quilting is by machine and not done very well, but it is beautiful...something about the colors!

Luann said...

Fun--I love the way you see things I would never notice!!

Kathy said...

Luann, you have many many gifts...I thank God for your friendship!

The Thrifty One said...

I love the picture of Loren and Jeff.
Ah-the good old days.

I have several old quilts somewhere around here packed in a box in the attic I think. One was used by the movers too put over furniture also. The other was made by Wally's Grandmother. You will have to check them out when you come.

Kathy said...

I would think that my bff of 43 years would be able to spell my daughter's name! It is L_A_U_R_E_N. Anyway, yes I would love to check out your quilts when I am there in FEBRUARY!! I cant wait, as I watch snow fall to the ground here now.

Google Search HERE!!

Custom Search

Your Google Results Here!

Followers

Blog Archive