Thank you for visiting my blog

A casual blog highlighting my life with kids, grandkids and kitties...Also an avenue to show some items from my etsy shops.


**Please note..The other half of my life is dovoted to helping feral and free roaming cats in Walnut and the surrounding areas. You can learn more and follow our activites there at Walnut Iowa's Feral Cat Program! **







Friday, November 14, 2008

Go Green!...with Chili Verde!

My Best Friend, Kathy from Florida shared a yummy recipe last week for Shrimp Bisque (see sidebar...Granny Divas). I made it Monday night and Larry and I about licked the pot clean! It was incredible!

Today I dug out a very old recipe that Ive had for ages and made it for supper. I found the recipe in the Bon Apetite Magazine 30 years ago and still have it on the same card I typed it on back then. With the fad "go green" I thought it would be fun to list it. Its fast, easy and oh so good! Let me know how you like it!

Chili Verde
  • 1lb pork shoulder, cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 2 T each of flour and shortening
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 14 oz can of whole tomatoes
  • 4 4oz. cans of green chilis (I use mild)
  • 2 1/2tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 2 cups water
Dredge pork in flour. Melt shortening in deep frying pan or dutch oven. Brown meat well. Add onion and garlic and cook til onion is soft. Add remaining ingredients, coursly chopping tomatoes and including juice. Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours. Uncover a few minutes before serving to desired consistance. Enjoy...really good with cornbread and honey...or corn chips and cheese!

Quilt Tip of the Day
I learned how to make a really fun block...You can use up fabrics youve had around or you can plan it. Basically you make a nine patch. You can make it any size you want...3" squares would be the smallest I would start with...but they can be bigger if you want. Make the center block a "popper". Make it a fabric that will "pop" in color from the rest. Once the nine patch is finished, Cut it right down the center, both ways, creating four smaller squares. You can now set these intricate looking little blocks how ever you want. They are so cute! I started one yesterday and have the top nearly completed. I started with some of the 5" squares I had cut on one of my "mindless" cutting days. I only made five nine patches, which created twenty blocks when I was done. I set them "on Point" with a neutral tone on tone alternate block and side setting triagles...I will add a small inner border and a wider outer border and have a nice couch sized quilt. I will post a pic when its done...Happy Quilting!


2 comments:

The Thrifty One said...

I am so glad you like the shrimp bisque. Your Chile Verde sounds good and I like the idea of mild peppers.
I wouldn't want to burn my tongue.

Kathy said...

LOVED the bisque! LOVED the Chili Verde....its the best cold weather soup ever! Oh its not cold there...to bad...you will still like it.

Google Search HERE!!

Custom Search

Your Google Results Here!

Followers

Blog Archive