Thank you for visiting my blog

A casual blog highlighting my life with kids, grandkids and kitties...Also an avenue to show some items from my etsy shops.


**Please note..The other half of my life is dovoted to helping feral and free roaming cats in Walnut and the surrounding areas. You can learn more and follow our activites there at Walnut Iowa's Feral Cat Program! **







Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Really Am Blessed!

I had such a good weekend. We were able to attend a wonderful church event (Step Up to Life Banquet), spend the night at our son Ben's and his family. Have breakfast (and work a puzzle) with 3 of my grandchildren. Spend lunch with my daughter and her little boy and then come home to a wonderful email from Jeff.

This picture was taken in July at my grandson's birthday party. This is the last time I saw Jeff before he headed back to San Diego and then on to Japan. If you could see me close, you'd know I was crying. It is such a strange thing to give a hug and wonder when the next time will be. I sure tried to be strong, but I failed.

Isn't Lauren beautiful? She just looks so happy now that she has found Josh. Her life just gets better and better.

Just in the last week, Jeff's emails have taken a turn for the better. He sounds excited and strong and ready for his future. He is making plans for school and a business after he gets out of the Navy. I have no doubt his dreams will be realized.

Being a mother is not an easy job, and while we are in the midst of it, we cannot wait for it to be over. But as any mother will tell you, it's never over. Lauren will always be my strong independent spunky little girl. She may have been "beaten down" for awhile, but she's back! I remember her at age 3 wanting to walk to the babysitters all by herself, and she bugged me until I let her. I only let her walk about a block and I was driving right next to her the whole way, but she thought she did it alone and she felt good about it. Now she has a plan for a good future for herself and her little boy. I wont let her do it alone now either. I will be right at her side, watching, ready to catch her if she falls. She wont, and she will feel good about herself. Jeff will always be my sweet, soft hearted little boy. When he was tiny, he would sit on my lap and we would rock until he was comforted. We went thru broken arms, broken lips and broken hearts together. Now he is far, far away, but our hearts are still connected in a special way. I have struggled to figure out how to comfort him from so far away...and he's too big for my lap anyway! But, I will be here to listen, support and encourage him as he too plans a future and builds on his dreams.

This motherhood thing is a strange role. You start out fearful because you have no idea what it will all entail and I guess that fear never ends. Everyday is a new discovery of what it takes to be a mom...even now. With grown children and grandchildren, motherhood never ceases to surprise and amaze me. I am not equipped. Never have been. What I have is what I have been given by God...wisdom from His Word and a ton of love for these two. What Ive learned over the last 27 years is that is all you need. Wisdom from above and LOVE.. 1Cor 13:4-8 says:.
  • Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
  • It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
  • Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
  • It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
  • Love never fails.
These verses are usually reserved for weddings, but aren't they appropriate for parents too? God is so good to give us everything we need. I am truly blessed!

"Quilt tip of the Day!"

LABEL YOUR QUILT! This seems to be one of the most difficult things for quilters to do. It isn't hard, so do it! I just picked up two quilts from my daughter, one from her graduation in 2000 and one from her wedding in 2003 and neither one has a label. They don't have to be fancy. If you don't want to turn the edge, I have been known to just top stitch it to the back with a pinked edge! You don't need to put a biography on it either...maybe just the event, the date, who it was made for, who made it and who quilted it...voila! done.. This will be important someday, so please "sign" your work. I have two to get done tomorrow! :)

3 comments:

Luann said...

You ARE blessed...the kids look wonderful. Haven't seen Lauren since that send-off for Jeff at your house--she looks very happy. You are an incredible mom and you have an incredible God who has (and will) walk you through every step of the way. He is so faithful.

Kathy said...

Thanks Luann, the best teacher is God and He didnt fail me. I sometimes wonder how good of a job I did, but judging from these two kids, I think I did alright... I love them so much.

Full day in Omaha today, so will just post a devotion I got from a friend.

Kathy Mom said...

You are a great Mom and a great Best Friend. I know from personal experience. Don't forget Best Nana for Kaden. Love you my BFF!

Google Search HERE!!

Custom Search

Your Google Results Here!

Followers

Blog Archive