Thank you for visiting my blog

A casual blog highlighting my life with kids, grandkids and kitties...Also an avenue to show some items from my etsy shops.


**Please note..The other half of my life is dovoted to helping feral and free roaming cats in Walnut and the surrounding areas. You can learn more and follow our activites there at Walnut Iowa's Feral Cat Program! **







Friday, September 26, 2008

Backwoods Boy


I got to thinking this morning about what people keep saying about Sarah Palin not being experienced enough to be president if needed. Experience helps in situations, but it isn't always needed. Have you heard of the phrase..."fake it you make it?" I've actually done that quite a few times during my lifetime. When I started working for an MD as office manager 26 years ago, I did not have the necessary experience to think I could qualify, but I knew I could learn. I knew I could draw on every little piece of knowledge that I had gained in my past jobs, put them together and be OK. I did OK alright. At the end of my career there I was managing four offices, 17 therapists, 4MDs and about six office staff.

Our library board meeting was yesterday. As I was sitting there listening to the "oh so interesting" matters of the meeting, I spotted a book on the shelf. I checked it out.

Familiar Quotations
John Bartlett
Original Copy rite 1882

I also noted that the book had not been checked out for 18 years! I felt sorry for it and here it is, snuggled up next to me! I opened it this morning and here is a notable quote from an "inexperienced" backwoods boy who liked to read.

"Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history. We of the Congress and this administration will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance or insignificance can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We know how to save the Union. The world knows we do know how to save it. We...even we here ... hold the power and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free...honorable alike in what we preserve. We shall nobly save or meanly lose the last, best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just...a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless." Abraham Lincoln at his 2nd annual address.

I feel that the experience we need to succeed comes from what we pick up along the way, whether that is from the backwoods of Kentucky, books, previous jobs, serving your community as a civil servant (like mayor and city council) etc...NOT from sitting in the political circle on the "hill" or rubbing shoulders with the other good old boys.Add to this, integrity, strong values, a will to learn (fake it...) and a strong belief in someone other than yourself, you have the foundation to be good at whatever you attempt.

"Quilting Tip of the Day'

Take classes every chance you get! I have taken classes that I loved the outcome and some that I hated the project. I do, however always learn something. Don't be afraid to try new things or stretch yourself beyond where you think you are (fake it till you make it). One suggestion from one who knows, is NOT to buy the most expensive fabric to make a class project. There is that off chance that you wont like the block and it will end up in a bin never to be worked on again...I took a class once at a weekend retreat. I purchased all new fabric for it, thinking I would love the outcome. I even bought hand dyed batik fabrics...cut it all up into the small required pieces and then hated the project...I still have never found a use for this beautiful fabric...Have I thrown it away? Why, no, I keep trying to use it somewhere else and I just don't ever live it. The pieces have now gotten so small from cutting and re cutting...I will have to just get rid of it. Don't repeat my mistake. Happy Quilting!


4 comments:

Kathy Mom said...

Don't forget to surround yourself with good people--that's why you are my BFF!

Kathy said...

oh yeah, people....Jeff sent me a comment on myspace! So he hooked up to his laptop somewhere! Yea! He said he is going to try to get a cell phone tomorrow and even if he doesnt he is going to call. Im thinking it might be in the middle of the night....tonight...I hope....maybe not...just to hear his voice would make this mama happy.

Kathy Mom said...

I'm so happy for you!! He will call if there is any way he can.

Luann said...

Abe Lincoln is definitely one of my favorites...hope you hear from Jeff soon.

Google Search HERE!!

Custom Search

Your Google Results Here!

Followers

Blog Archive